Friday 30 December 2011

My Cream Blush Collection


I have recently become more interested in cream blushes after years of thinking I couldn’t wear them as I have oily / combination skin. Turns out that I can wear them, I just needed to purchase the correct ones and ensure my skin was prepped correctly before applying.

I currently have 5 cream blushes and they cover a wide spectrum of colours and shades, although I am always looking for more!.

Bobbi Brown Pot Rouges in Tawny, Fresh Melon and Calypso Coral – these blushes are contained within the colour strips palette that I came out last year and although these particular shades are no longer available as they were limited edition, there are many similar colours available on her website. The shades I have here are Tawny, Fresh Melon and Calypso Coral. The coral shade in particular is my favourite.

I love the Pot Rouges as they were the first cream blushes I tried and they showed me that it was possible to wear them. I apply just a tiny dab of these with my fingers and blend them outwards for a healthy flush. They are very pigmented so you only need a tiny amount and therefore they will last ages. They can also be used on the lips but I find them quite drying when used in this way so I prefer to use them only on my cheeks. 


Elizabeth Arden cream blush in Plum – I received this as part of a goody bag at a Britney Spears fragrance launch event some time ago and was really pleased with it, despite it looking quite scarily dark in the pan. I do feel that Elizabeth Arden’s packaging could feel a bit more luxurious for the price though as the product is not cheap and plastic, lightweight packaging is something I would expect from a drugstore brand.


Top Shop cream blush in Neon Rose – When Top Shop’s makeup range was initially launched, this was the blush everyone seemed to be talking about and despite it looking very scary and bright in the pan, it is a lovely wearable coral (can you tell I love coral shades?!). It blends easily to a powder finish and easily lasts as long as my other cream blushes from higher end brands. The finish and consistency of this blush in the pan does seem to be significantly dryer than my other cream blushes but I think that may be due to the fact that it blends to a powder finish unlike the others. I have owned this for over a year though and it has not yet dried out and I am using it on a regular basis. I also have to mention the packaging of this product which is very cute, and the addition of a mirror in the lid is an added bonus.

L to R: Neon Rose, Plum, Tawny, Fresh Melon and Calypso Coral

For me, the key to using cream blushes effectively, without them disappearing within a couple of hours, is to ensure my skin is prepped with primer and that I don’t have too many layers of products underneath the blush. I moisturise first thing in the morning after my shower, then apply my primer and foundation / tinted moisturiser after which my blusher is applied. I take time to do this though and wait for each ‘layer’ to dry fully. I also often use a powder blush in a similar colour to set the cream blush if I want to ensure it stays put all day, otherwise, I need to reapply a little after about 5-6 hours.

What is your favourite cream blush?

Price
Bobbi Brown Pot Rouge -£18
Elizabeth Arden Ceramide Cream Blush -£22-23
Top Shop Cream Blush -£6

Where to Buy
Bobbi Brown Pot Rouge -Bobbi Brown
Elizabeth Arden Ceramide Cream Blush -House of Fraser, Debenhams, Boots
Top Shop Cream Blush -Top Shop


4 comments:

  1. Great post!
    I think my favourite cream blushes are by Becca. They last forever!
    I think I picked up that Top Shop one when I was in London. Hmmm need to look for it! Thanks for reminding me about it!
    Happy New year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've not really been one for cream blushes as i have oily skin but these colours look lovely i especially like the Top Shop one in Neon Rose. Think i will have to pick this up xx

    www.misssunshinesparkle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Been meaning to try out some of the cream blushers - especially the top shop ones, they seem to offer a better pigmentation then the powder ones.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tracey - I haven't tried Becca's cream blushes but I adore their lip glosses. Must give their blush a try.

    Canielle - Neon Rose is great as it is a little less fluid and dries to a powder. Plus it isn't too expensive.

    Rachael - The TopShop cream blushes are great, one of the standout products of their line in my opnion.
    x

    ReplyDelete